A free publication from Everyday Catholic made possible by everyday catholics.
The Daily Bread
Take the Saints Trivia Quiz!
November 22, 2018Happy Thanksgiving from the staff of… Click HERE to take the Saints Trivia Quiz!
Sunday, September 30, 2018
September 30, 2018Click HERE for today’s mass readings. Today is the twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Saturday, September 29, 2018
September 29, 2018Click HERE for today’s mass readings. Feast of the Archangels, Saints Micheal, Gabriel and Raphael. Click HERE to learn more about this feast.
The Holy Rosary
The Mysteries of the Holy Rosary help focus our prayer on the life, ministry, and Passion of Our Lord. There are four sets rosary mysteries (Joyful, Sorrowful, Glorious, Luminous) and five parts of each mystery which correspond to the five decades (sets of 10 Hail Marys) of the rosary. Pope Saint John Paul II recommended that the faithful meditate on the mysteries of the rosary based upon the days of the week as follows:
The JOYFUL MYSTERIES of the Holy Rosary on Mondays and Saturdays and on Sundays during Advent
1. The Annunciation of Gabriel to the Virgin Mary (Luke 1:26-38)
2. The Visitation of Virgin Mary to Elizabeth (Luke 1:39-56)
3. The Birth of Jesus (Luke 2:1-21)
4. The Presentation of Our Lord in the Temple at Jerusalem (Luke 2:22-38)
5. The Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple at Jerusalem (Luke 2:41-52)
The SORROWFUL MYSTERIES of the Rosary on Tuesdays and Fridays and Sundays during Lent
1. The Agony of Our Lord in the Garden of Gethsemane (Matthew 26:36-56)
2. Our Lord is Scourged at the Pillar (Matthew 27:26)
3. Our Lord is Crowned with Thorns (Matthew 27:27-31)
4. Our Lord Carries the Cross to Calvary (Matthew 27:32)
5. The Crucifixion of Our Lord (Matthew 27:33-56)
The GLORIOUS MYSTERIES of the Rosary on Wednesdays and Sundays
1. The Resurrection of Our Lord (John 20:1-29)
2. The Ascension of Our Lord into Heaven (Luke 24:36-53)
3. The Descent of the Holy Spirit on the Virgin Mary and the Apostles at Pentecost (Acts 2:1-41)
4. The Assumption of the Virgin Mary into Heaven (Munificentissimus Deus, Pope Pius XII 1950)
5. The Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven and Earth (Revelation 12:1)
The LUMINOUS MYSTERIES of the Rosary on Thursdays
1. The Baptism of Our Lord in the Jordan (Matthew 3:13-16)
2. The Wedding Feast at Cana (John 2:1-11)
3. The Proclamation of the Kingdom of Heaven (Mark 1:14-15)
4. The Transfiguration of Our Lord (Matthew 17:1-8)
5. The Institution of the Eucharist at the Last Supper (Matthew 26)
How to Pray the Holy Rosary
The Joyful Mysteries prayed on Mondays, Saturdays & Sundays of Advent
The Sorrowful Mysteries prayed on Tuesdays, Fridays & Sundays of Lent
The Glorious Mysteries prayed on Wednesdays & Sundays (except during Advent or Lent)
The Luminous Mysteries prayed on Thursdays
Suggestions? Comments? Questions?
Use the form below. We’d love to hear from you!